Zucchini Taco Boats
It's Taco Tuesday!! And January 2nd, so let's start the year off right, riiiight?
We didn't come up with this idea on our own, so we've got to give credit where credit is due. You can click here for the original source. But, even though this wasn't our creation, it needs to be shared because its the best way to have tacos these days. Besides, all the cool kids are doing it.
We love this recipe because we prefer to use ground turkey for our tacos now because it is a healthier option and honestly it tastes just as good. It's also less heavy in yo belly so you don't feel so blah after eating eight tacos (eight is average, right?). Anyways, its like making tacos, and just throwing them on sliced zucchini versus shells, so you're automatically eliminating the carbs from the shells. Modify as you wish as far as toppings, and enjoy!!
TACO STUFFED ZUCCHINI BOATS
TOTAL TIME: 1 hour 15 minutes
For a low-carb, summer spin on taco night, you’ll love these Taco Stuffed Zucchini Boats filled with seasoned ground turkey and topped with a Mexican cheese blend.
- 4 medium (32 ounces) zucchinis, cut in half lengthwise
- 1/2 cup mild salsa
- 1 lb 93% lean ground turkey
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 small onion, minced
- 2 tbsp bell pepper, minced
- 4 oz can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup reduced fat Mexican blend shredded cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions or cilantro, for topping
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place 1/4 cup of salsa in the bottom of a large baking dish.
- Using a small spoon or melon baller, hollow out the center of the zucchini halves, leaving 1/4-inch thick shell on each half.
- Chop the scooped out flesh of the zucchini in small pieces and set aside 3/4 of a cup to add to the taco filling, (squeeze excess water with a paper towel) discarding the rest or save to use in another recipe.
- Drop zucchini halves in boiling water and cook 1 minute. Remove from water.
- Brown turkey in a large skillet, breaking up while it cooks. When no longer pink add the spices and mix well.
- Add the onion, bell pepper, reserved zucchini, tomato sauce and water. Stir and cover, simmer on low for about 20 minutes.
- Using a spoon, fill the hollowed zucchini boats dividing the taco meat equally, about 1/3 cup in each, pressing firmly.
- Top each with 1 tablespoon of shredded cheese. Cover with foil and bake 35 minutes until cheese is melted and zucchini is cooked through.
- Top with scallions and serve with salsa on the side.