Avocado Toast |A Nutritious & Delicious Brunch Recipe
Avocado toast with egg for extra protein is one of the most nutritious breakfasts, brunches or whatever meal you want to eat it for. This is my favorite recipe as the textures and gooey egg and deliciously satisfying. Avocado toast might sounds like a no-brainer and something you don’t need a recipe for but there’s ways to take this simple staple up a notch and make it a more balanced meal! So here’s my favorite avocado toast recipe along with avocado toast calories, benefits and serving suggestions.
Easy Avocado Toast with Egg Recipe | Time to Get Mashing
Why is avocado toast is so popular
I’m sure you’ve all seen avocado on toast popping up everywhere. Here’s why:
- Delicious and filling
- Avocados are a complete food and high in essential fats.
- Avocados are also high in dietary fiber. In fact, most of the grams of carbohydrates in an avocado come from dietary fiber.
- It’s a quick and easy meal to make
- Easy to create lots of avocado toast variations with toppings, seasonings and sides.
Avocado Toast Calories
The calories will depend on a lot of things such as how many avocados you use, the calories in your toast, and what you add to and put on your avocado toast.
The average calories in 1 avocado is 278.5, with 99% of those calories coming from fat which is why I recommend skipping the butter, cheese, nuts and any other sources of fat when eating avocado toast.
I like to add a poached egg or 2 to mine to add more protein to even out the carbohydrate, protein and fat macros.
Is Avocado Toast Healthy?
Avocado’s are a really nutritiously dense health food when eaten in moderation as they’re high in fat and calories. When it comes to avocado toast, keeping it healthy depends on the type of bread you use, how much toast you eat, if you add more fats like butter, cheese, nuts or bacon, and what else you serve to eat and drink with it.
If you stick to this recipe then yes, avocado toast is exceptionally healthy. Especially when you use brown bread for the toast, don’t use butter or cheese and skip the mimosas.
Benefits of Avocado
Avocados contain a wide variety of nutrients, including 20 different vitamins and minerals including Vitamin K, C, and B5 & 6.
With 9 grams of carbs, 7 of those are fiber so there are only 2 “net” carbs making it a low carb food.
They have more Potassium than a banana.
Avocados are high in oleic acid, which is a heart healthy, beneficial fat (in moderation).
Numerous studies have shown that eating avocado can improve heart disease risk factors
Healthy fats help create a healthy heart.
Avocados contain antioxidants, including Lutein and Zeaxanthin, which are important for eye health.
Avocado toast with egg recipe
Ingredients (organic wherever possible(
- 1 avocado
- 2-4 eggs (depending on whether you want 1 or 2 eggs each)
- 2-4 slices of whole-wheat bread or high protein low carb bread like Eat Me Guilt Free Protein Bread
- 6 Cherry tomatoes
- Washed Salad leaves
- 1 tbsp. Crumbled Goats cheese eg Feta, blue Cheese, or truffle cheese (I like goats as it’s lactose free).
- 1 tbsp. All natural bacon bits (such as Wellshire).
- Splash of lime or lemon juice (for taste and to help stop the avocado going brown).
- Salt and pepper to season (I love Himalayan Pink Salt as it gives a little crunch to the texture too). Truffle salt also works well.
- A drizzle of truffle oil
- Fresh herbs such as cilantro
- Poach the eggs to your preference (3-6 minutes, 3 will leave you with a very runny center, 6 will be cooked through). These poaching bags make it super easy and with less mess.
- Toast the bread
- Slice the tomatoes in halves or quarters.
- Slice the avocado and scoop out the flesh. Mash the avocado (with a sprinkle of salt, lime juice and bacon if using).
- Top one slice of the toast with the avocado, sprinkle with cheese (if using) and cherry tomatoes.
- Top the other slice of toast with the salad leaves and poached egg(s)
Share your avocado toast photos
Show us how you brunch and share your avocado toast photos and recipes! Tag your photo captions with #glamourandgains on Instagram or leave a comment below.
Follow me on Instagram Glamour And Gains
More healthy eating tips and recipes
Eve Dawes is a Blogger, Podcaster, Mrs. England World 2020, a WBFF Pro Diva, SAG-AFTRA actress, NASM certified Personal Trainer, Founder of Dawes Custom Cosmetics and GlamourandGains.com. Eve's also the host of BFF (beauty, fitness & fashion) segment on Spill The Tea Live! The show for British Expats. Eve has over 15 years experience in the fashion world, is an avid traveller and cruelty-free beauty advocate.