The healthy 7 layer dip that never fails to impress
This healthy Greek 7 layer dip recipe looks super impressive, is a flavor explosion and is way quicker and easier than it looks. This dish not only looks beautiful and colorful but is a low fat and makes a great healthy appetizer. A 7-layer dip is always a hit and great for Super Bowl parties and BBQ’s. What makes this different is that it’s low fat and Greek rather than a Mexican 7 layer dip recipe. This greek yogurt dip is always scraped clean whenever I serve it as an appetizer or pool side snack. This low fat dip is also quicker and easier to make than it looks.
How to make healthy 7 layer dips
An easy way to make 7 layer dips or any dips healthier is to swap out cream cheese for non fat yogurt or low fat cream cheese. Most 7-layer dips call for cream cheese and have a hefty fat content.
I switched the cream cheese for 0% fat Fage Greek yogurt, which offers the same thick consistency without the fat content whilst adding protein and being lighter = win/win!
How to serve dips to make them healthier
To make this 7 layer greek yogurt dip a low carb appetizer, you can serve it with these alternatives to chips:
- Raw thinly sliced carrots
- Cucumber sticks
- Celery sticks
If you’re serving this healthy Greek 7-layer dip more traditionally with pita bread or pita chips, Stacey’s makes really nice thick pita chips which are ideal for scooping.
What to serve 7 layer dips and Greek dips with
Serve this 7 layer dip with pita chips, fresh vegetables, and/or warm flatbread cut into small triangles. It also pairs will with a really nice crisp white wine such as a Pinot Gris, Albarino or unoaked Chardonnay.
I like serving meals as a theme and serving Greek dips with an entirely Greek meal. So why not theme your whole meal and follow this healthy 7 layer Greek dip appetizer with chicken and vegetable skewers and a Greek salad.
The beauty of this low fat 7 layer dip is that it’s versatile for all tastes. You can take out any of the ingredients you don’t like, add those that you do, and it’ll still work. Unlike baking, where one wrong move and you’re doomed!
Healthy Low Fat 7 Layer Dip Recipe | Healthy greek yogurt dip
7-Layer Dip Ingredients
- 8oz. Strained 0% or low fat Greek yogurt such as Fage
- 1 tsp. Greek seasoning (or Oregano)
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 c. hummus
- 1 c. seeded, diced cucumbers (optional)
- 1/2 c. chopped Kalamata olives (optional)
- 1 c. seeded, diced tomatoes
- 1/3 c. chopped spring onions (about 3 spring onions completely chopped)
- 1/2 c. crumbled Feta cheese
- 1/8-1/4 c. finely chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- With an electric mixer or hand held mixer, combine the Greek yogurt, seasoning, garlic and lemon juice until light and fluffy.
- In a clear dish (so you can see the layers), spread the yogurt into the bottom of the shallow dish.
- Then spread a layer of hummus on top of the yogurt.
- Continue to create layers by sprinkling each of the ingredients one on top of the other: the cucumbers, tomatoes, olives, onions and Feta cheese.
- Top with the freshly chopped parsley (or cilantro) to garnish.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours to allow the flavors to blend. Sometimes I can’t wait and it’s still good, so if you’re as impatient as I am don’t worry.
Enjoy this 7 layer dip recipe not just on Summer days but all year round to evoke memories if Summer! If you try this Greek yogurt dip recipe, tag me on Instagram in your photos @glamourandgains #glamourandgains