How to make cinnamon rolls.
High protein, dairy free, healthy comfort food
A cinnamon roll recipe that won’t wreck your health or diet. The smell of these homemade gluten free cinnamon rolls freshly baking is one of my favorites. I’m pretty boring with my breakfasts (egg whites, oats, fruit and almond butter) but sometimes I want to refuel my body while enjoying my food.
This healthy and easy cinnamon roll recipe is the perfect breakfast, brunch or healthy dessert comfort food, uses high protein gluten free wraps and makes the house smell so good. Who needs cinnamon scented candles when you can bake these beauties!
I’m always up first, besides my cats who are also ready for breakfast, and putting on the coffee and making breakfast as I always wake up starving. My routine is fasted cardio then egg whites but on my day or 2 off from the gym I have more time to cook. This delicious, nutritious breakfast is super healthy and full of protein, fiber, quality carbohydrates and essential fats.
I use a lot of cinnamon in my recipes because it smells divine and has a ton of health benefits but if it’s not your thing you can reduce the quantity.
Benefits of cinnamon
Cinnamon regulates blood sugar, this creates stable energy levels and moods. So feel free to go heavy handed with it in your cinnamon roll recipe.
Reduces LDL cholesterol levels (the harmful cholesterol.)
Reduces chronic inflammation linked with various neurological disorders.
Contains small amounts of fiber, calcium, iron, and manganese.
Reduces pain linked to arthritis (by reducing cytokines linked to arthritic pain).
Cinnamon reduces menstrual pain.
- Contains the natural chemical ‘cinnamaldehyde’ which helps to balance hormones.
Gluten Free Cinnamon Roll Recipe
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 1 slice of whole wheat gluten free flatbread or wraps cut into quarters, or 2 slices of gluten free bread. Wholefoods have a great selection. Amazon stocks a lot of options like: Mission gluten free tortillas, Toufayan gluten free wraps, or Julian Bakery Paleo thin wraps (gluten free). They crisp up nicely in the oven (I’m not a fan of soggy bread or toast).
- 1 tsp Cinnamon (add as much or as little as you like)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 8-10 drops organic liquid stevia, or 1 tsp agave nectar (optional if you are wanting a sugar free version).
- 1 tbsp of almond milk
- 1/2 cup low fat ricotta (optional, you can miss this if you are wanting a dairy free, low fat option)
- Pre-heat your oven to 420*F (non-convection temp).
- Mix all of the ingredients together except for the bread.
- Cut the flatbread into the size you want or that fits your muffin tins (eg quarters) and dunk the bread in the mix, thoroughly coating it.
- Fold each slice in half, roll up, and stuff into the muffin tins.
- If they start to unroll, use a cocktail stick/tooth pick to hold them together
- Bake the cinnamon rolls for 12-15 minutes. You can move them around slightly during cooking to make sure the bottom is cooked and not soggy.
- They will be slightly crispy around the edges when done, and warm and gooey all the way through.
- Serve and enjoy.
Homemade cinnamon rolls options:
- Mix extra ricotta, agave, cinnamon and vanilla essence and use as a topping but I find them moist enough on their own.
- Sprinkle with extra cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, spices of your choice.
- Spread with a little almond or peanut for some healthy fat
- Heat a handful of seasonal fruit/berries for about 15 seconds in the microwave so that they turn into a fruit syrup to top your freshly baked homemade cinnamon rolls with.
Cinnamon Roll Recipe Feedback & Photos
It’s a beautiful life, go out, live it and eat well in doing so! Let me know how your healthy protein cinnamon roll recipe turns out and tag @evedawes in any photos you take of your masterpieces!
Get more healthy recipes
Eve Dawes is a Blogger, Podcaster, Mrs. England World 2020, a WBFF Pro Diva, SAG-AFTRA actress, NASM certified Personal Trainer, Founder of Dawes Custom Cosmetics and GlamourandGains.com. Eve's also the host of BFF (beauty, fitness & fashion) segment on Spill The Tea Live! The show for British Expats. Eve has over 15 years experience in the fashion world, is an avid traveller and cruelty-free beauty advocate.