How to Make Chai Tea Lattes Healthy
10 Calorie Dairy Free Chai Tea Recipe | Slashed Calories and Sugar
Chai tea recipe that won’t add excess calories, fat and sugar to your day. Chai tea benefits are infamous with tea lovers but milk, sugar and versions made with Chai Tea concentrate instead of fresh ingredients negates those benefits. This skinny chai tea recipe is one of my Winter favorites, forget candles and brew this. It makes your house smell amazing and super festive. Packed full of taste and health benefits, it won’t create the dreaded ‘stomach fluff’ syndrome. You can also make it as an iced chai tea recipe in the Summer. Here’s how to make Chai Tea Latte healthy. In this blog post you’ll find:
- What is chai tea
- Chai tea benefits (there’s lots)
- How to make chai tea | chai tea recipe (hot and iced)
Chai Tea Benefits
The hot version of this chai tea recipe is a wonderful warming drink for this time of year and in Summer it’s really refreshing. Some of the benefits include.
- Thermogenic effects
- Immune boosting
- Digestion aiding
- Pain reducing properties,
This tea spices up your life in more ways than one.
More Benefits of Chai Tea
One of the benefits of making homemade chai tea is that you get all of the benefits of the spices you brewed into your tea.
Benefits of Ginger
I’ve been using a lot of this recently including in my breakfast due to it’s multiple benefits. It’s not a new ‘superfood’ or some fad.
- Improves Digestion: helps with nausea, motion sickness, gas, constipation, stomach upsets, loss of appetite.
- Detoxifying-has a thermogenic effect
- Anti-Inflammatory-the Gingerol compound is an anti-inflammatory that can ease muscle pain and it works well whether heated or raw.
- Helps ease period pains, migraines and can lower blood pressure (web.md)
Benefits of Cardamon
- Helps with digestion problems similar those that Ginger helps with.
- Can be used to treat minor infections such as colds, coughs and sore mouth and throat (WebMD)
Benefits of Cloves
- Aids digestion (nausea, gas, motion sickness)
- Eases bad breath
- Aphrodisiac (Botanicalonline.com)
Benefits of Cinnamon in Chai Tea Latte Recipe
- Decreases pain, menstrual pain, and muscle spasm
- Assists indigestion; relieves stomach upsets
- Boosts Immune system (Medical News Today)
- Regulates Blood Sugar
- Lowers LDL Cholesterol levels
- Lowers Blood Pressure
What is Chai Tea
Chai tea is lower in caffeine than coffee and has lots of health benefits (see below). It’s made from a variety of spices which differ from recipe to recipe. However, the main ingredients are Cardamom, cinnamon, ginger and cloves. You can also use star anise, pepper, coriander, nutmeg and fennel. The quantities used of each depends on personal preference. So feel free to tweak this recipe to your taste after trying it the first time.
Chai Tea Latte V Skinny Chai Latte
My girlfriends and I were talking the other day about our obsession with Chai Tea Lattes. The smell, taste, how awesome it is at this time of year and how festive it makes us feel but also, our not so fondness of the sugar, fat, dairy and calories. Sugar tends to create that dreaded ‘stomach fluff’ syndrome. You know what I’m talking about, the softness around the middle from sugar and empty carbs.
Well, me being me, won’t go without the things I love, so I set about creating a healthy version. It takes about 25-30 minutes to prep and brew so to save time I recommend making a big batch. Then you can decant that into water bottles or whatever you have, keep it in the fridge and then reheat whenever you want it or drink it over ice.
I’ve added a few different chai tea recipe suggestions and alternatives at the bottom of the recipe so you can find your favorite.
10 Calorie Chai Tea Recipe | Dairy Free
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 1 tsp Ground Cardamon or 8 Whole Cardamon Pods
- 8 whole cloves
- Fresh Peeled and Grated Ginger: 0.5″ for a mild cup, 1″ for some spice, 1.5″ for a firey cup
- 3 Cups Water
- 1 Cup Almond Milk (you can also use soy or coconut milk)
- 2 English/Black Tea Bags
- Either 4 full squirts of liquid Stevia (I like French Vanilla stevia) or 2 squirts; 1 tbsp of dark brown sugar (this will add 15 calories and 1.3g carbohydrates per cup)
- Peel and grate the ginger (using the larger hole side of the grater) into a dish or small bowl.
- Put 3 cups of water in a saucepan with all of the spices and ginger and bring to the boil, stirring occasionally. Turn down the heat and allow to simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to steep for 15 minutes more.
- Return to the heat and boil, once boiling add the 2 tea bags, stir and remove from the heat. Leave to brew for 3-6 minutes depending on how strong you want the tea flavor to be.
- Strain the tea through a sieve and then pour the strained tea back into the saucepan and discard the tea bags and spice residue.
- Mix in the Stevia and milk, then return to the heat for long enough to heat it up well again.
- Serve and relax. Allow any remaining tea to cool before decanting into an airtight container and keep refrigerated.
Nutrition | Calories in Chai Tea Latte: A 1 cup serving with Stevia contains: 10 calories, 1g fat and 0.25g protein.
Chai Tea Recipe Serving Suggestiong
Serve your Chai Tea hot, cold, over ice, blended with ice or blended with chocolate, vanilla or cinnamon protein powder-YUM!
Chai Tea Protein Shake Recipe
Another way to make this is to follow the recipe until the end and then to pour 1 cold serving into a blender. Add 1 scoop of protein powder (my favorite is Optimum Nutrition Platinum Hydrowhey Protein Powder as it has 140 calories, 2 grams carbohydrates, 1 g fat, 30 g protein and is lactose free) and 1 cup of ice. Whizz it all together in the blender for a Chai Protein Frappuccino! HEAVEN!
Calories Chai Tea Protein Shake: If you add the protein powder, it’ll add 140 calories, 2 grams carbohydrates, 1 g fat, and 30 g protein.
About Me / Eve Dawes
Eve Dawes is an accomplished fitness professional and WBFF Pro athlete with international experience as a dancer, model, host and personal trainer.
Want more healthy recipes?
This article contains affiliate links
Eve Dawes is a Blogger, Podcaster, Mrs. England World 2020, a WBFF Pro Diva, SAG-AFTRA actress, NASM certified Personal Trainer, Founder of Dawes Custom Cosmetics and GlamourandGains.com. Eve's also the host of BFF (beauty, fitness & fashion) segment on Spill The Tea Live! The show for British Expats. Eve has over 15 years experience in the fashion world, is an avid traveller and cruelty-free beauty advocate.