Lip care, how to apply lipstick and draw lips and preventing chapped lips : The 411 on Lips
How to apply lipstick sounds like a no brainer! Draw and outline and fill. But we’ve all had at least one experience with our lipstick smudging, bleeding, ending up on our teeth or drying our lips out. This 411 guide to the perfect lips covers how to prevent chapped lips, how to draw lips whatever shape you’re going for and lip care.
Lips have stolen the show as much as eyebrows recently and it’s all about getting the perfect pout which means dry, flaky lips are a definite No-No plus they can be painful.
Matte, long-lasting lipsticks are awesome for long days and nights but the chemicals used in non-clean brands tend to leave lips as dry as the Sahara. As well as needing a lot of TLC after taking a beating from air-conditioning, heating, sun, and flying.
Whether you’re a glossy lip gloss girl or matte lipstick type, how to get the perfect lip really starts with lip care. You want smooth lips to create a hydrated, smooth canvas, just as you would with your face.
Here are my top tips for keeping your lips looking gorgeous, plump and hydrated.
How to Apply Lipstick | 5 Steps to Perfect Lipstick Application
- Use a hydrating lip mask to help get rid of and prevent chapped lips such as Dawes Custom Cosmetics Miracle Hydrating Plumper. I also use this lip mask during the day for hydration, volume, and subtle minty freshness.
- Gently use a lip exfoliator to get rid of any dead skin. You can use a sugar scrub, dry toothbrush or even a damp facecloth/flannel.
- Use a lip pencil to create the lip shape that you want and prevent the lipstick bleeding beyond the lip line. This is especially important when using a darker or red lipstick. You can also draw slightly outside of your lip line to cheat bigger lips. Some clever lip contouring will help this look more natural.
- Use a lipstick primer before you apply lipstick to create a smooth base. Dawes Custom Cosmetics does a really lightweight hydrating ‘Perfect Pout Primer’ that also fixes lipstick in place.
- Finally apply your favorite shade of lipstick or lipgloss with a lip brush or straight onto your lips. You can layer for a longer lasting or more intense color. Either blotting with tissue paper and dusting with setting powder between layers or just blotting.
How to wear lipstick under face masks
Wearing face masks has changed how we wear makeup. I’ve been hunting down ways to minimize lipstick transfer to our masks, lock in the lip color and keep my lips hydrated.
I was so fed up of lipstick smudging under my mask or going out without lipstick and then nipping to the restroom to apply it when I got there. I’m a bit of a control freak so I decided to formulate my own cruelty-free long lasting lipstick formula for Dawes Custom Cosmetics to solve the problem.
My Lipcare and Lipstick Must Haves
If you still haven’t found the perfect shade and texture for you or are trying to declutter your makeup bag and save money: create your own all natural, cruelty-free custom lipstick and lipglosses at Dawes Custom Cosmetics. With endless color possibilities, 18 scents and flavors and 6 lip treatments: moisture and sheen, sunscreen, anti-aging complex, and lip plumping; the possibilities are endless. The long-lasting matte lip gloss is our favorite and current best seller for wearing under face masks.
For more how to and lifestyle advice videos and how to’s head over to Dawes Custom Cosmetics Glamour & Gains YouTube Channel .
More Lipstick and Makeup Tips and Tricks
If you have your own tips on how to apply lipstick, draw lips and lip care, share them with us in the comments below.
Eve Dawes is a Blogger, Podcaster, Mrs. England World 2020, a WBFF Pro Diva, SAG-AFTRA actress, NASM certified Personal Trainer, Founder of Dawes Custom Cosmetics and GlamourandGains.com. Eve's also the host of BFF (beauty, fitness & fashion) segment on Spill The Tea Live! The show for British Expats. Eve has over 15 years experience in the fashion world, is an avid traveller and cruelty-free beauty advocate.