Beat the travel weight gain with these healthy travel tips
How to stay healthy while traveling is one of the most common questions I get asked, as well as what healthy travel snacks to pack. As I’m always traveling for both business and leisure. Airport and plane food can be limited but planning ahead can take the stress out and help maintain your healthy lifestyle and weight.
I thought I’d write a quick blog, post flight to England on how to make healthy choices when traveling while it’s fresh in my mind.
How to stay healthy while traveling Internationally V domestically
These are 2 completely different things. When I travel for work within the US I always travel with a lot of my own food. However, since you can’t take meat, dairy, etc outside the US it changes things up when you travel internationally.
Thankfully, traveling and eating healthily isn’t the impossible task it was even just a couple of years ago. Since I exercise a lot less when I travel for leisure (not work) I try to be conscientious with my eating, as that plays the biggest part. You can exercise until the cows come home, but unless you are eating right you’re never going to get results.
Healthy travel snacks and packing essentials to stay on track with your health
No one wants to be weighed down, carry around a melted mess or get food poisoning. These are light, easy and fuss-free to pack.
- Protein scoop
- Mini shaker/blender bottle (I like BlenderBottles since they have the gizmo in there that blends the powder well)
- Protein powder in a large ziplock. Double bag this to be safe against leakage & take a smaller zip lock to decant into daily to keep in your bag. It’s so easy to just add water anywhere and if your macronutrients are off when eating out you can counteract by adding a shake (before or after you go into the restaurant or hosts house) to up the protein and keep it lean.
- Old fashioned oats. You can make these with hot water at the hotel or from a coffee shop. To add protein, add 102 scoops of protein powder. This is a really quick and convenient breakfast choice without even leaving your hotel room.
- Your daily supplements. We can’t always have the perfect diet whether we’re traveling or not. Supplements will help in meeting your RDA of vitamins and minerals.
- Protein or healthy snack bars for when you can’t find anything or don’t have the time. I really like Quest Bars or you can do Kind bars at a push but they’re higher in fat and lower in protein. Some people like RX bars but to me they taste of cardboard. You can normally find all 3 of these brands at the airport shops. If you’re stocking up before you travel, Walmart tends to have the best pricing on Quest Bars. My top flavor recommendations are S’mores, Cookie Dough and White Chocolate Raspberry.
My Travel Essentials
How To Eat Healthily At Airports
Most airports have a Starbucks where you can grab their spinach an egg white wrap, protein plate, Greek yogurt or salad. Failing that, a lot of places offer fruit cups, boiled eggs, grilled chicken, garden salads. If none of those options sound good, see if there’s something you prefer here 13 of the Best and Worst Starbucks Items For Your Health.
You can treat the newspaper stores like a ‘pick-and-mix’ for healthy travel snacks. Have fun with it and make your own meals; discarding what you don’t want and adding the things you do to get your perfect macro-nutrient balance of protein, carbs (either a starch, fruit or veg) and fats (normally olive oil or from fish).
Tip for those who hydrate well: Try and book an aisle seat so that you don’t have to keep disturbing your neighbor for bathroom visits (an unavoidable downside to hydrating well).
Healthy travel snacks & options for plane food
I always buy a 1.5 liter bottle of water or 2 after security as they never serve enough on the flight. Food wise, either try and pick up something at the airport, pack your own if allowed on the flight or make smart choices.
Healthy breakfast options on the plane
For breakfast onboard, I make my own protein shake with their black coffee (with the powder in my purse) so I can skip the airplane breakfast. The passengers next to me are always quite envious of my shake over their congealed eggs and greasy croissant!
What to order for a healthy dinner on the plane
Order a salad without dressing and leave the cheese and croutons. Choose the healthiest option of protein they have and skip bread (which is always dried out) and dessert.
I would love to say skip alcohol onboard to stay hydrated but I’m one to practice what I preach and what’s a long haul flight without a glass of bubbles or so!
So now you have a few tips on how stay healthy while traveling. If you have some tips of your own please share them in the comment below. Wishing you smart and safe travels.
This post contains affiliate links.
Eve Dawes is a Blogger, Podcaster, Mrs. England World 2021, a WBFF Pro Diva, SAG-AFTRA actress, NASM certified Personal Trainer, Founder of Dawes Custom Cosmetics and GlamourandGains.com. Eve's also the host of BFF (beauty, fitness & fashion) segment on Spill The Tea Live! The show for British Expats.Eve has over 15 years experience in the fashion world, is an avid traveller and cruelty-free beauty advocate.