Last Updated on September 9, 2023 by Eve Dawes
Master double denim with these 18 ways to wear denim on denim outfits & the pieces to do it with
Denim on denim outfits AKA double denim is a massive fashion trend for 2023 but the stylists are torn. Is it ok or is it a faux pas? How do you style denim on denim outfits besides as a Canadian Tux or basic denim jean jacket outfit. I’ve rocked this look a few times in the past. Starting back when Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake were rocking this look back in the early 2000s and am looking forward to trying the updated versions of it this year. I’ve been scrolling through runway looks, fashion editor picks and the street style stars outfits to come up with the most on trend and best ways to style denim this year and some of the cutest pieces to create them with. Whether you’re a fashion risk-taker or playing it safe, there’s so many different ways to wear this trend to make it work for you. If you like denim that is!
This post contains affiliate links.
Is it ok to wear denim on denim? Fashion trend or fashion faux pas
There’s some controversy on whether it’s ok to wear double denim or not. I feel like it’s more about how you’re styling your head to toe jean outfit and where you’re planning on wearing it to than anything else. Black tie dinner, probably not, cute lunch date, I say Yes!
One of the good things about this trend and the reason it’s so popular is that most of us already have a lot of these wardrobe staples in our closet. Whether that’s jeans, a jean jacket, shorts, a dress, a skirt or all of those to easily create the outfit ideas below.
View this post on Instagram
There are some fashion equations that just make sense. Pairing denim with more denim is an easy way to take the utilitarian classic into trend territory, or even create an elevated look to wear to work.L’Officiel
Whereas others are in the camp that denim on denim should never be worn:
A mode of dress in which a denim top (jacket, shirt, etc.) and a denim bottom are worn at the same time, often regarded as a fashion faux pas.Wikinionary
How to not wear double denim
Double denim only tends to be a faux pas when it’s styled badly or the washes clash but there are some rules of thumb to keep it in fashion not fail territory. There’s also the debate on whether the outfit should be monochromatic and the washes match or if they should contrast e.g black and blue.
Some people say the same washes make it look too matchy matchy but personally I love a monochromatic look.
Fashion rules are made to be broken and that’s how new looks and trends evolve. So forget the rules with this trend and wear what makes you feel good. Wearing anything with confidence looks better than something that supposedly follows the rules.
How to style denim on denim outfits
These fashion forward ways to wear double denim or head to toe denim are the most stylish ways to wear this trend this season that go beyond the Texan Tux:
- Head to toe denim including coordinating accessories like denim shoes.
- Straight or skinny jeans under long belted jean jacket outfits.
- Denim bustiers or corsets with jeans.
- Oversized jackets with fitted jeans.
- Tucked in button down shirts with wide leg jeans.
- Monochrome matching washes for coordinated chic.
- Denim duster, crop top & jeans.
- Unbuttoned denim shirt, white tee or tank and jeans.
- Take style inspo from Gigi Hadid with a denim jacket, matching jeans, graphic tee and heels.
- A denim top and belted jeans a la Nawal El Zoghby.
- Summer style inspo: jean shirt, jeans and slides.
- Denim maxi skirt with cropped jean jacket.
- Keep it simple in a denim jumpsuit or romper.
- Copy Bella Hadid’s triple denim outfit: jean corset, jacket and jeans.
- For the brave: denim bralette, bag & midi skirt as seen at Givenchy.
- A denim dress is one of the easiest ways to wear the denim-on-denim look.
- For summer try a monochromatic white look with a white denim jacket or bralette & matching shorts.
- Experiment with different shades of denim for a less patchy matchy look.
- To dip your toes into this trend, try a matching color t-shirt to your bottoms, like this navy tee with dark wash jeans.
View this post on Instagram
18 denim on denim outfit ideas for 2023
Double denim outfits are one of the biggest fashion trends for 2023. We’re not talking the Canadian Tux but fresh ways to wear head to toe jean outfits for 2023 for all 4 seasons.
Here’s 18 women’s outfit ideas from casual to dressier styles to rock this fashion trend and to take you through Spring, Summer, Fall & Winter.
How to ease into this trend
If head to toe denim’s too much for you or it’s your first time trying this trend you can always try these tips to break up or ease into the trend:
- Add a contrasting color bag and shoes rather than being completely head to toe.
- Leave your jean shirt or jacket open and wear a different color tank, bralette or sports bra to break up the look.
- Add statement jewelry like gold chain bracelets and necklaces to elevate your look.
- For this particular trend and to avoid being too Canadian or Texan Tux, avoid fringe jackets, western belts, or cowboy hats. Again, rules are made to be broken so take this advice with a pinch of salt and you do you.
- I’d also avoid plaid shirts under jean and denim jacket outfits to keep it more fashion and less country.
- Darker shades tend to be more flattering than lighter washes.
- A denim dress with a matching bag or shoes is an easy way to wear this trend. Plus you can keep wearing the dress and switch out the accessories once this trend is over.
This denim effect bodysuit is 100% cotton and softer than regular, thick, rigid jean material. It has such an unusual neckline and would look just as good with white jeans, pants or shorts as with matching jeans. It’s also on sale!
This cropped jean jacket outfit has the most stunning, iconic gold buttons that Balmain’s known for. There’s 2 different skirt options to go with this blazer and they’re all on sale. You know I love a good sale!
If you’re looking for a sexier double denim outfit that doesn’t involve jeans, this dress is super cute. Style it with matching knee high boots for extra style points. These ones are crystal encrusted which checks off another major 2023 fashion trend.
For Spring Summer swap your boots for strappy sandals but keep the denim trend going with either a denim bag or shoes.
A button down shirt it matching washes looks pull together and is perfect for cooler days. It’d make a super cute brunch outfit with sneakers, white pumps or denim boots.
A matching set is an easy way to make sure the washes match. Style with slides for the day or pumps for a height boost. This micro mini’s actually a skort for a bit of extra modesty and to make getting in and out of the car easier!
My top picks for the pieces to create your double denim outfits with
The most stylish denim shirts, bustiers, jackets, pants, dresses and rompers in all shades from designer to under $100 to create either contrasting or monochromatic jean outfits this year.
Complete your outfit
The denim boots, handbags and shoes trending now to complete your head to toe denim outfit. Don’t leave your denim knee high boots in the back of your closet for Spring, keep them on repeat with denim dresses and jean shorts.
For fashion and outfit ideas, sale alerts, BTS stories or just to say Hi.
More ways to try the denim trend this year
From shorts to jackets and celeb style, here’s some of the looks I’m loving right now.