How to do a messy bun 5 ways | Easy everyday styles
How to do a messy bun? There’s an art to making messy look effortless but cute and it took me a while to figure it out. Messy buns make 2nd day hair easy to deal with and are a cute option when short on time. I’m sharing how to do a messy bun 5 ways because who doesn’t love easy hairstyles? These 5 cute messy bun tutorials take less than 5 minutes each and you’ll get quicker with practice. Number 5 isn’t messy but a chic chignon perfect for work, date night or if you’ve got a wedding to go to for a more elegant look. I added it to these hair tutorials as it’s so fast and easy to do and saves you searching in another place for how to do it. My niece whose a hairstylist in London shared this one with me, so thank you Jade.
The easiest messy bun tutorials
Here are my favorite 4 ways to style a perfect messy bun and 1 way to style a chignon. It used to take me ages as a ballerina to get every hair in place so I love these messier super cute buns for a change that are more relaxed and so much quicker to do.
- Braided bun 0:29 (starting with the one that takes the longest but is so pretty).
- Rolled round bun 5:21
- Twisted bun 8:22
- Flip it, tease it messy full bun 9:00
- Chic chignon 9:56
Don’t worry if yours don’t look exactly the same as mine; they’re supposed to be loose and messy and you can make them your own. They tend to come out slightly differently everyday anyway. These 4 cute messy buns are all different so hopefully you’ll find one you love. If you have shorter or finer hair, using a Poofy Pony volumizing hair styling tool will really help cheat some volume for both ponytails and buns.
If something doesn’t make sense in these how to’s just drop me a comment below and I’ll try and find a better way of explaining it. I want you guys to be able to do the perfect messy bun quickly and easily.
What you’ll need to do a cute messy bun
- Hair elastics as close to your hair color as possible
- Clear hair elastics (1500 for $6)
- Brush. I used a Mason Pearson brush. It’s a bit pricey but they last forever. I’ve used it ever since my ballet days as the bristles get your hair super smooth.
- Rattail comb for those baby hairs and partings.
- Hairspray – Pureology makes a cruelty-free, vegan hairspray with max hold.
- Mirror to see the back of your messy bun and sculpt it how you want it to look.
- Dry toothbrush (just for hair not your teeth as well!) to get in those baby hairs for a super sleek bun, especially #5.
- For cheating volume Poofy Pony. This makes the swishiest pony and cheats more volume to ponytails and buns.rew
Thanks for watching lovelies, I really appreciate you. Don’t forget to come say Hi and tag me in your messy bun and chignon photos #glamourandgains
More Hair Tips & Tricks