Pleated skirts from minis to maxis are the major skirt trend to know. Here’s the looks we’re loving & 14 ways to style them
Pleated skirts are back in style in a major way. From pleated cargo skirts to denim mini’s, black pleated skirts and low slung styles. It’s one of those 2023 skirt trends that works well for all seasons from minis in Spring/Summer to midis and maxis styled with sweater dresses in Winter. Think crop tops, socks and loafers with denim and chino styles or tank tops and strappy heels with leather versions. Stick to a preppy, glam or retro aesthetic for this 2023 skirt trend rather than going for office vibes.
This post contains affiliate links.
A lot of the micro minis have built in shorts. Saving any worries about modesty or wearing them on windy days. This denim style is under $100 and checks off both the denim and pleated trend.
Are pleated skirts in style for 2023
Yes pleated skirts are in style for 2023. They started making a comeback as a micro mini last year but are in style in so many lengths and variations this year. Trends range from minis to maxi’s, leather to denim but with a more 90’s and 00’s aesthetic than too prim. As much as they’re a classic some styles can look a bit dated. So definitely take some styling inspiration from the edit below, don’t just drag an oldie out of the back of your closet.
Luckily, they’re a skirt trend that suits most body types. I personally prefer a midi as midi’s cut me off mid calf in an unflattering way and maxi’s are just too much material for my petite frame. Whatever, you’re preference there’s something for everyone with this 2023 skirt trend.
Take inspiration from the 2023 runway shows
Some of the pleated skirt trends for 2023 on the runways at on the celebrities in attendance included:
- Gold pleated maxi skirts at Dell Scott runway show during New York Fashion Week 2023.
- Grey pleated midi skirts at Dior Haute Couture Fall/Winter 2022-2023 Paris Haute Couture Week and Sandy Liang Spring 2023 ready-to-wear.
- Low slung, micro minis at Miu Miu Ready to Wear Fall/Winter 2022-2023 fashion show.
- Grey pleated mini skirts as seen on Pixie Geldoff during Paris Fashion Week F/W 2023.
- Black pleated skirts as seen on Nicola Peltz, Amelia Gray and Maria Bernad at Paris Fashion Week – Womenswear Fall Winter 2023 2024.
Shop the pleated skirts trending now
Besides just going for a style you love, if you’re torn on which one to get consider what you’re planning on wearing it with and whether it’s a summer or winter piece. I love one’s with belt loops so I can change up the look by changing the belt. It also doesn’t matter if it’s not a perfect fit then as I can use the belt to cinch it.
Obviously neutrals like black, white, grey or beige are the most versatile colors but green, blue, denim and pink are also fun color trends to play around with this look.
Luxe for less black leather pleated skirt
Such a classic style that’s perfect for Fall and Winter and easy to layer with. Leather’s also a bit edgier than cotton or silk styles.
The blue version of this chino pleated mini skirt is almost sold out. So hopefully they’ll do a restock as I haven’t managed to get my hands on one yet. However, they do also have this fold over waist mini skirt in Khaki beige which is perfect for Summer. It looks a lot like Miu Miu’s but with a lot lower a price tag.
Designer Pleated Skirt
When I think designer pleated skirts or where this trend began I think of Miu Miu’s micro mini sable skirts. This slightly longer grey versions a bit easier to pull off and appropriate for more occasions. As well as being esy to style for Fall/Winter.
Designer black pleated leather skirt
This black leather pleated skirt is part glam and part edgy. What I love about this fringe style is how easy it is to dress up or down. It’s also on sale!
14 ways to style a pleated skirt in 2023
If you’re wondering how to style a pleated skirt or want some fresh ideas, here’s some outfit inspo to help get the most wear out of yours:
- On trend for 2023 styled with a crop top.
- With a bralette on it’s own or under a sheer top.
- With a crop or baby tee
- With a roll neck sweater French tucked at the front.
- With a silk camisole for timeless ladylike chic.
- Add a blazer to a mini pleated skirt for a preppy look. Midi skirts and blazers can look a little matronly.
- A leather pleated mini skirt with a white or black bodysuit or t-shirt.
- As above but add a denim or leather jacket for cooler days.
- Create a monochromatic look with a silk or satin skirt and matching camisole.
- Take style inspiration from Alexa Chung in a tan suede jacket, white pleated skirt and black slingback spool heel shoes.
- Layer a white shirt under a cropped sweater with loafers for everyday chic.
- Style your pleated mini skirts with white knee high boots and moto jacket for an edgy meets preppy on look that’s right so in style for 2023.
- With a long matching trench coat and roll neck for Fall.
- A black leather pleated skirt with a black tank top and black strappy heels is a glam but edgy way to wear this 2023 skirt trend.
For more fashion, trends, sale alerts and styling inspiration.
More trends to love this season
From leather to denim, here’s some more fashion trends to play with this year and our favorite styles to try them with.