Mastering this tricky wardrobe essential.
The best Women’s white shirts & 20 white shirt outfits
The best women’s white shirts are one of those wardrobe essentials that can be worn again and again but can be hard to get right. Too sheer, crease too easily, not the right cut, too bulky tucked into pants and skirts, etc. To be honest, I’ve shied away from white button down shirts for the most part because of these issues but I was determined to get it right since they’re so versatile and can look really elegant when done right. After hours of searching, these are the 25 best womens white shirts I could find from everywhere online. As well as how to wear a white blouse or a white shirt 20 ways, with white shirt outfits for all occasions and seasons whatever your personal style.
This best women’s white shirts post contains affiliate links.
Are white shirts in style 2023
Yes, absolutely, they’re in style for 2023. A crisp white shirt is a timeless classic and something that can be worn again and again and dressed up or down, not just saved for office wear. Whether you have a capsule wardrobe or extensive closet, it’s a versatile piece you can style so many ways to get so many different looks from.
If you’re wanting a style you can wear year after year go for a more classic, simple style rather than a more trendy or statement blouse. If you’re wanting some more on trend, look for cropped and sheer shirts for 2023. Jacquemus and Prada both do a great cropped shirt.
I like elastic bands on cropped shirts to hold them in place rather than them billowing out. It creates a neater silhouette on us fuller chested girls.
20 ways to style a white shirt for women
A classic white shirt is so versatile and a great closet essential for all seasons and occasions. Whether it’s work wear, date night or a casual look that you’re going for. I actually borrowed my husbands shirt for some of the oversized white shirt looks. Then styled an ASOS women’s white shirt for the other white shirt outfit ideas.
- Classic womens white button down shirt, tucked in with black jeans and pumps.
- The half tuck-rather than the classic French tuck. This look is asymmetrical with 1 side tucked in and the other left untucked.
- Classic French tuck; in at the front, out at the back. This works well with a curve hem shirt.
- Layer a sweater or sweater vest over your button down for colder months.
- For a sexy date night look, only button up a few buttons and leave it off of 1 shoulder. Style with a sexy cami, bodysuit or bra underneath.
- As a strapless shirt dress. This styles a little trickier to get right and you definitely need long sleeves. You button up as many buttons as you need so it sits like a strapless shirt dress. Then wrap the sleeves around your body to tie it into place. It’s easier to follow me in the video than to explain in words.
- Wear leather on leather or a leather jacket and jeans to give an edgier look to your white shirt.
- Tie a twilly/skinny scarf or velvet ribbon in a bow around your neckline for an instantly elevated look that’s perfect for workwear.
- Wear it unbuttoned over a crop top, sports bra or bralette with pants or bike shorts for a more casual white shirt outfit.
- Leave it unbuttoned but knot it in the front over a crop top and bike shorts with sneakers for an off-duty, weekend look.
- Use a relax fit white shirt as a swim cover-up. Look for moisture-wicking fabrics if you’re going somewhere hot and humid. I highly recommend rolling not folding your shirts when packing if you’re not using a garment bag.
- For a dressier white shirt outfit style it with a mini, midi or maxi skirt and heels.
- Under a corset or bustier for a fashion forward, trendy white shirt outfit for a fashion forward look for happy hour or dinner. The best women’s white shirt to try this look with is a slim fit, or more fitted style or bodysuit.
- Try a longer length top belted over leggings for a casual, flattering outfit. It doesn’t matter whether it’s a straight or curved hem for this look.
- For a winter white button down shirt outfit, layer it over a roll neck sweater.
- Another classic but simple style is just with jeans. I tend to go for darker, high-waisted jeans with cropped white shirts or for a dressier look and faded and/or ripped, lower rise jeans for a more casual white shirt outfit.
- Style your white shirt with pencil skirts and a blazer for a chic workwear look. If your shirts on the sheerer side, you can always layer a classic white tee underneath it make it office appropriate.
- As above but with black trousers.
- Under a bright matching blazer set. It can be everything from a casual shorts set to a more tailored skirt set depending on where you’re headed.
- For a more casual white shirt outfit, style your shirt with denim shorts, either buttoned up or just knotted in the front or back. This look also works with a cap sleeve shirt for the Spring and Summer.
Shopping for the perfect white shirt | The 50 best womens white shirts to add to your closet
These are best women’s white shirts at all price points whether you’re looking for an oversized fit or fitted style, short or long sleeves, that I found after hours of searching the highest rated brands and styles from all over the web. I’ve included both sheer and button downs that aren’t see-through. If they are a little sheer, you can always layer a tank or white tee under them or rock the sheer look since it’s on trend right now.
What shirt material creases the least
Some of the best women’s white shirts are the lower maintenance options, including non-iron styles. Rather than linen, organic cotton or poplin that are a nightmare to deal with. This is one instance where if you hate ironing as much as I do, synthetic materials like silk, polyester and viscose trump natural materials.
What makes a great white shirt?
Some of the key features to look for when shopping for womens white shirts are darts at the back that nip in the waist for a tailored look. Shorter lengths work best if you’re going to be tucking them in so there’s not too much bulk. Super-stretch cotton is ideal for a flattering fit that creases less. As well as details that add interest whether that’s chest pockets, slightly different collars, or gold buttons.
I also really like thong bodysuits that looks like a white shirt for when I want a sleeker silhouette and less bulk to tuck in e.g. with skinny jeans. I know they’re less versatile for ways to style them but they’re a great option to have if you’re not a fan of loose silhouettes or tend to wear more fitted pants, skirts or jeans.
Shop the 50 best women’s white shirts
I’ve added lots of different styles to this best women’s white shirt edit from classic white button downs to cropped versions, dress shirts to sheer styles. As well as the cutest vegan leather button down with puff sleeves and pearl buttons if you’re looking for something a little different and a white shirt dress from Prada that was too chic not to share. From designer to luxe for less, here’s the list of best women’s white shirts to nail this ultimate wardrobe staple.
What do you wear under a white shirt? 10 pieces to wear under your blouse
There are so many pieces you can layer under a women’s white shirt depending on the look you’re going for and how sheer your shirt is. These are some of the best underwear & pieces that you can use underneath white blouses and my 10 best tips for what to wear under white shirts of all transparencies.
- Obviously a nude or white bra is the one of the best things that you can wear under a white shirt as it shows the least.
- Layer a bandeau top underneath. This looks cute and on trend with sheer tops.
- Wear a white or nude sports bra underneath for more coverage than a bra or if you want more support.
- For a statement making outfit, wear a logo bra or bright colored underneath to make that the focal point of the outfit. This works better with a plain shirt versus a patterned or embellished blouse.
- Wear a bodysuit underneath for full coverage.
- Shapewear like Spanx and other brands make more supportive bodysuits you can wear underneath if you want a little extra help. These are perfect for under more fitted styles for a smoother silhouette.
- Layer a long sleeve top or roll neck sweater underneath on colder days.
- For the ultimate risqué white shirt outfit, wear nothing but pasties underneath.
- A plain white tank or t-shirt if you don’t own a bodysuit and don’t like wearing bras or just want to wear both.
- A nude slip works well if you’re going to be wearing your white button down shirt with a skirt.
Which brand white shirt is best?
It’s more about the quality and price point than a brand when it comes to choosing a white shirt. Look for the key features and materials above more than just for a name.
Unless you’re going for the logo’ed look where the brand is visible, then go for your favorite brand. Prada and Miu Miu do this really well and tend to have more fashion forward styles. Saint Laurent also does this well but has more subtle logo placement.
Your daily outfit inspo
How to style
More outfit ideas and style inspiration.