Comfortable, travel friendly clothes for a chic arrival
Airport outfits really come down to artful layering and the right materials whether it’s chic or a cute airport outfit you’re going for they should all be comfy. You don’t have to limit your women’s travel outfits to sweatsuits and leggings or cute summer dresses you’ll freeze in on the airplane. I’m pretty sure everyone can put together their own leggings, t-shirt, sneakers and a jacket outfit so I wanted to share looks to inspire some different airport outfits. Not do what everyone else has already done. These stylish airport outfits range from airport loungewear to pants and blazers that are stylish, comfortable and easy to layer for both winter and summer plane outfits so you don’t get too hot or cold.
This post contains affiliate links.
What to wear on a plane 2023
I’ve rounded up the most stylish womens airport travel outfits made of the most crease proof materials (leave the linen behind) and practical but fashionable shoes and accessories! As well as some do’s and don’ts that both you and the people around you will appreciate. These comfy travel outfits are an easy way to upgrade your airport style for your next vacation or business trip.
Airport travel outfits review haul
I’ve been searching for cute airport outfits for my trip to Europe this Summer as so many materials are either too uncomfortable like denim, crease too easily (linen) for long haul flights or are too hard to go to the bathroom in.
Airport outfits for Summer can be tougher to figure out so you’re not freezing on the plane or sweating when you land. The easiest way is either layering up and using a scarf or pashmina on the plane. The other option is keeping a change of clothes in your hand luggage and changing when you land. I always recommend taking a change of clothes in your carryon anyway in case your checked bag(s) go missing.
These are a few of the cute matching sets I ordered from casual airport loungewear to a more dressy satin set that can also be dressed up and worn on vacation or business trips with heels.
- Airport loungewear outfit: Boys Lie tank top & jogger bottoms. The most comfy of these airport outfits.
- Super soft travel outfit for women on sale: Velour top & matching bottoms.
- Smarter airport travel outfit on sale: Top and matching bottoms. This lighter material would be perfect as a summer plane outfit.
- Veja sneakers.
What should I wear to the airport? Stylish womens travel outfit ideas
- This doesn’t apply just to womens travel outfits but to everyone. Make sure you wear shoes that you can easily get on and off for security (if you’re non TSA Pre). Avoid flip-flops or anything you won’t be able to run in if you need to run to your gate.
- Look for materials and clothes that are less likely to crease sitting down or sleeping for hours. A lot of airport loungewear sets are way more chic than just a regular tracksuit or joggers.
- Wear clothes that are easy to layer for when the plane or destination are either too hot, too cold or both.
- You don’t want to wear clothes that will drag on the bathroom floor: anything too long, trousers or rompers with long belts that could end up down the toilet or on the bathroom floor.
- Don’t wear clothes that are hard to get on and off to use the bathroom for your travel outfit. You’ll appreciate this in the confined space of the plane or rushing to the restroom between connections.
- Crop length tops might make a cute airport outfit but longer length tops and dresses to avoid any awkward situations if you have to raise your arms in the body scanner.
- Avoid clothing with enough metal details to set off the security metal detectors.
- Underwired bras are hit and miss as to whether they set off the airport security metal detector or not. They also tend to dig into the back of the airplane seat. So for an easy life and more comfy airport outfit, wear an alternative like a regular bra or sports bra if you want more support.
- Be sensitive to others when it comes to perfume. Go to town with your deodorant but perfume can be really overwhelming in the confined space of a plane.
What shoes are best to fly in
When I fly for work I tend to fly in sneakers/trainers in case I need to run to catch a connecting flight. Then change into slides or heels when I land, depending on where I’m going and how much luggage I have. I go for anything that’s easy to get on and off at airports that don’t have TSA pre check.
Airport Outfit Inspiration
These women’s travel outfits help bring your look to life and are looks that are comfortable without sacrificing style. I haven’t recommended denim as I honestly find it really uncomfortable to fly in or linen as that’s just a nightmare when it comes to creasing.
I’ve also avoided anything too tight, especially pants. As if you’re sitting in them for a long time, you run the risk of getting Deep Vein Thrombosis and they’re just not comfortable.
Cute Airport Outfits | Stylish Women’s Travel Outfits
- Add a blazer to your favorite loungewear set
For a comfy and practical women’s travel outfit, layer your airport loungewear over a tank top and finish with a blazer and scarf for removable layers that work for all climates. For Summer airport outfits, throw a pair of tailored shorts or bike shorts and sandals in your carryon if you’re heading to a hot destination and you’re all set.
Think chic loungewear in the softest materials, not discolored and mismatched tops and bottoms that have seen better days. A designer scarf elevates any travel outfit and can double up as a blanket. Fresh white sneakers make this a super comfortable option and great for airports where there’s a lot of walking between gates.
- Airport Loungewear Co-Ord Set | Pants and Long Line Cardigan
Throw a long line cardi over your loungewear set, tank or tee and joggers for an instantly chic laid back look. A cardigan’s easier to get on and off than a sweatshirt if you’re trying not to mess up your hair and also doubles up as a blanket on the plane.
Just be careful not to go for too wide a leg pant so you don’t trip over them if you have to run to make a flight connection.
3. Wide leg pants, super soft tee, blazer or leather jacket and scarf
Wide leg pants are such a comfy choice and look so European. A leather jackets going to give you that cool girl look versus jet set look, so you can choose the style that’s more you and based on your destination.
I love a blazer for city breaks and throwing over a summer dress but if I’m going somewhere cooler or wetter the leather jacket wins.
4. Oversized blazer, tank top and leggings
The fitted under layers balance out the oversized blazer so that it doesn’t look like a sloppy airport outfit. I’m recommending tank tops over bodysuits for flying for the sake of easier bathroom runs. This blazer and pants set is right on trend for 2023 with its split hem pants and can be used on your trip not just for the plane.
5. High waisted trousers with a super soft t-shirt and colorful or patterned blazer or scarf.
This is great for layering with a Summer plane outfit. Break up the monochromatic look with either some color or a designer print for a chic, luxe womens travel outfit. Perfect for city breaks or going straight to business meetings. Just throw some heels and red lippy in your carry on for a quick change.
Ok, so there’s pros and cons to wearing jumpsuits flying. Pros: they make cute airport outfits that look stylish and are so comfortable. Cons: a little more tricky going to the bathroom (roll or pull them up so they don’t drag on the floor). Look for ones that don’t have lots of buttons or that you need help getting in and out of. PS The grey cargo jumpsuit I’m wearing is super thick and cozy so better for cooler destinations. The pants are cuffed which means no issues dragging them on the bathroom floors!
7. A belted coat over joggers and a t-shirt or button down shirt
These are great if you’re headed to cooler climates or traveling for work. If you tend to run hot, swap out the joggers for bike shorts. Here’s a round up of the best womens winter coats to layer over your look for a cozy and comfy airport outfit.
Complete Your Women’s Airport Outfit
Shoes, bags & accessories really finish airport outfits and pull it altogether. Whether you’re going for a chic or cute airport outfit, these shoes are perfect to complete your travel outfit.
Think chic designer flats, fresh white sneakers and soft leather espadrilles that are comfortable, stylish and can be worn with lots of your other vacation or work outfits. Use code SARSARAHFLINT-BAEVE for $50 off your 1st pair of Sarah Flint shoes.
The best travel totes for your trip
An oversized, envy worthy carryall bag that you can discard layers into and fit a change of clothes is another essential in case your luggage doesn’t make it. Plus it can make or break a stylish airport outfit.
As much as I love totes this year, my 2 requirements with carryon bags is that they have a top zipper (goodbye pickpockets and things falling everywhere if you have to stow them overhead). As well as sections to make everything easier to find.
This Karl Lagerfeld braid tote bag is my go-to for flying but sold out. This is as similar a white braided bag as I could find. It’s big enough to fit most laptops but not so big you can’t double up and use it for your everyday bag. The braided tote is also right on trend for 2023.
I was a bit worried about how practical a white bag would be for flying and going under the airplane seats but it wipes clean really easily. The straps are sturdy enough to load up your bag and white goes with pretty much all of your airport outfits.
I also just got the Chanel Deauville tote to be able to use as both a carry-on and beach bag to save taking 2 large bags.
Stay Warm On The Flight
Don’t forget a lightweight blanket or for a stylish airport outfit, a pashmina or scarf that folds up small. Even if you’re flying first class, it’s much more hygienic and you can use it wherever you’re headed as well. Either as a scarf in Winter or as a beach coverup or evening wrap at hotter destinations.
Wherever you’re going this year, have a fabulous time. I know I’m excited for vacations, family reunions and work trips again this year!
Tag me in your women’s travel outfit pics @glamourandgains and share your cute airport outfits with me on Instagram #glamourandgains so that I can share your style.