Last Updated on November 15, 2023 by Eve Dawes
Stylish & fashion forward women’s ankle boots and booties you need to know about
The best ankle boots, booties and women’s boots for 2023. Ankle boots in general are one of my favorite fashions I look forward to every Fall and Winter and they’re back in style for 2023. While they will always be a classic, last year they were out of fashion. This year they’re back in style in full force as seen at Valentino’s Fall/Winter fashion show. They’re perfect for times when knee and thigh high don’t work so well e.g. under leather pants or with boot cut jeans. There are so many women’s ankle boots and best booties for women to choose from in the current 2023 ankle boots collections: Booties, open toe, stilettos, flats, lug sole, heeled ankle boots, metallics, black ankle boots for women, and I love them all! So I’ve rounded up the best of them from designer ankle boots to luxe for less styles.
Keep reading about all of the women’s ankle boot trends for 2023 and the designer ankle boots to invest in or jump straight to shop the best ankle boots for Fall/Winter 2023 to wear this season.
This post contains affiliate links.
What’s on the best ankle boots 2023 edit
There are so many different styles, colors, shaft and heel heights of ankle boots and booties for women for 2023 that it makes finding a style for every occasion and outfit possible. Long gone are the days of just plain black ankle boots for women. But the choice can get overwhelming.
So on this women’s best ankle boots 2023 list, I’m sticking to just ankle boots and bootie styles. Some are the hottest trends from the Fall Winter runway shows and others are classics like Chelsea boots.
If you prefer knee high boots which are also trending this season, I narrowed it down to the top 25 in a separate edit based off of the looks from this Fall Winters fashion shows.
Table of contents
- Stylish & fashion forward women’s ankle boots and booties you need to know about
- What’s on the best ankle boots 2023 edit
- What ankle boots are trending for 2023
- Best booties and womens ankle boots of all varieties 2023 Edition
- Shop the best Women’s ankle boot and booties 2023 edit
- Best women’s ankle boots 2023 | A curated list of trending boots and best booties for all budgets and tastes
- Best womens ankle boots 2023
- Trending combat boots: Chunky flat ankle boots, lace up buckle black biker boots and combat boots
- Classic ankle boots style | Chelsea boots
What ankle boots are trending for 2023
The 14 ankle boot trends to know for 2023 to freshen up your Fall Winter look are:
- Lug soles and chunky soled women’s ankle boots are staying in for 2023. They’re the best ankle boots for 2023 for a practical boot for running around all day, city breaks and everyday cool girl vibes. As seen at Valentino, Tods and Victoria/Tomas fashion shows.
- Cowboy boots are back and a much loved celeb style. As seen on Sienna Miller, Dua Lipa and Emily Rajajkowski to name a few.
- White ankle boots as seen at Gucci, on the streets at Paris Haute Couture Fall/Winter 2023/2024, in Vogue and on the fashion set Fall/Winter 2023-2024.
- Flat, chunky Chelsea ankle boots are set to be a big trend for Fall 2023 thanks in part to Kaia Gerber seen wearing them at the Valentino Haute Couture Fall/Winter 2023/2024 show.
- Denim ankle boots as seen in Givenchy and Dolce & Gabbana’s latest collections.
- Wedge ankle boots as seen in Giuseppe Zanotti and Stuart Weitzman’s current collections.
- Pointed toe stiletto women’s ankle boots as seen at Balmain and Vivienne Westwood Spring Summer fashion show. As well as on Jennifer Garner.
- Combat ankle boots as seen on the Fendi, autumn/winter 2023 runway. Prada also does a fab chunky block heel version.
- Lace up ankle boots as seen at Tommy Hilfiger, Heron Preston, Gucci, Ulla Johnson, Fendi and Palomo Spain in both flat and heeled iterations.
- Platform heels are still in style, just not as much as earlier in the year. As seen on Camille from Emily in Paris, Valentino and Roberto Cavalli Fall Winter shows.
- Caged ankle boots as seen at Versace.
- Buckles as seen in Fendi Fall-Winter 2023/2024 Women’s collection, on Melanie Kieback at Chanel and in Dior and Valentino’s Fall 2023 collection.
- Block heels as seen in nearly all designers Fall 2023 boot collections.
- Metallics from knee high to ankle boots. Sparkly and high shine iterations are still everywhere from Versace to Moschino and Alexandre Vauthier. Giving us all the glam party vibes for 2023-2024.
Best booties and womens ankle boots of all varieties 2023 Edition
I’ve rounded up the top trends for women’s ankle boots and womens booties for 2023. Including best for budget (under $100) and designer ankle boots options. As well as the best ankle boots for 2023 and booties that are vegan, using faux leather or faux suede. So there’s a boot for everyone.
While black ankle boots and booties for women will always be a classic, there are so many other colors, patterns and materials like denim to have fun with this look and find something to coordinate with all of your outfits.
Chelsea boots weren’t really seen on the runways this year but will always be a classic style you can’t really go wrong with. While heeled Chelsea boots were seen back at Chanel cruise a couple of years ago for a true classic go for flat black Chelsea boots. For a more fashion forward look for 2023 go for chunky lug soles or pointy stiletto heels.
Shop the best Women’s ankle boot and booties 2023 edit
These are the best chunky and lug sole flat ankle boots and mid calf styles out this season. As well as the latest Balmain combat ankle boots with gold monogram hardware. These Balmain black leather heeled ankle boots with their stunning gold buttons keep selling out so if you want them, grab them now.
Here are the best women’s ankle boots and booties for 2023. In all colors, from pretty pastels to darker styles, sparkly metallics to matte leather, faux leather & suede, feminine to chunky, trendy to classic styles, high heeled ankle boots to low heels and comfy flats.
The best ankle boots for Fall/Winter 2023 are all here including lots on sale. With both classic styles and runway inspired looks that are both wearable and practical in real life. Plus the latest iterations of open toe, stiletto and white ankle boots.
Starting at under $30 and going up to over $1600 for designer styles and the super sexy Valentino platform designer ankle boots. More about each of these styles below.
Best women’s ankle boots 2023 | A curated list of trending boots and best booties for all budgets and tastes
These were the styles seen on the 2023 runways and most likely to lead the way trend wise. In between seasons and transitional styles can be tricky. That’s why I love ankle boots to get us through in between seasons. As they’re so much more versatile than knee or over the knee boots for transitional season outfits. As they can be worn from late Summer into Fall all through Winter into Spring.
Style them with dresses or jeans, denim or leather jackets. There are so many different styles for whatever your fashion vibe or mood is.
Best womens ankle boots 2023
The list of 20 + best ankle boots 2023 from flats to heels. A break down of styles and my top picks in each category:
Trending combat boots: Chunky flat ankle boots, lace up buckle black biker boots and combat boots
I kept seeing these black leather chunky ankle boots all over Instagram with everything from summer dresses with an oversized cardigan to sweater dresses or leggings. The chunky sole and combat boot trend is definitely continuing on in 2023.
These chunky boots give a harder more grungy look and are a super comfortable option. The trend wasn’t forecast to last but here we are!
These are the best ankle boots 2023 with chunky soles that I found from shopping around online and my favorite instagram influencers. Starting at under $20, with mid-range boots around $500 for the See By Chloe Biker boots and Balmain as the best designer ankle boots with chunky soles option.
I couldn’t resist adding the See By Chloe black leather ankle boots as the leather looks so luxe and for trending gold buckle details.
Best black lace up biker boots | See By Chloe black leather ankle boots
Best Designer Combat Boots Balmain
You can never go wrong with Balmain shoes and boots. Their gold B logo makes them instantly recognizable and adds a luxe touch to otherwise simple black lace up ankle boots.
Classic ankle boots style | Chelsea boots
The Chelsea boot will always be quintessentially English to me. I remember growing up in the country side in England and wearing flat Chelsea ankle boots with stirrup leggings to horse riding lessons.
Women’s Chelsea boots have come a long way since then and comes in different styles from classic to chunky soled to heeled. The beauty of these besides how comfortable they are is that they just pull on.
While classic Chelsea boots will always be in style, the most fashion forward to wear Chelsea boots in 2023 is with a chunky sole and in black, white or a bold color.
If you’re planning on walking and not just sitting pretty, these are one of your best options and are going to be one of key boot trends for Fall boots.
The Chelsea boot goes way back to the Victorian era and the design’s the invention of the C J. Sparkes-Hall, boot maker to Queen Victoria.
I remember wearing them horse riding back in the 90’s! They’ve been around for a century and their classic style is here to stay.
What are Chelsea boots
It’s the elastic sides. What gave them their name was back…
In the mid-1950s, a group…started frequenting the King’s Road area in West London. This group was named the ‘Chelsea Set’…they made the name ‘Chelsea’ synonymous with a new way of living and dressing…favoring the Paddock boots … the ultimate leisure accessory and hence were renamed to Chelsea Boots.
On trend best designer Chelsea ankle boots – Flats
The logo detailing on Fendi’s black ankle boots soles elevate these simple black Chelsea ankle boots. It’s an investment pair that’s a stylish classic not just for 2023 but a style that can be worn year after year.
Best Women’s heeled ankle boots and booties | Feminine heeled styles
These are my favorite heeled ankle boots and booties for women for 2023. I’m 5’2” and high heels, feminine styles and pretty colors are my go to’s.
Best heeled black ankle boots for women
These women’s booties are a Revolve best seller and the lower block heel makes this a practical black heeled ankle boot for everyday and city breaks.
Top find for designer ankle boots | Heeled lace ups
Lace up ankle boots are trending for Fall Winter 2023. If you’re looking for designer ankle boots with a heel that are still comfortable and supportive this black Prada pair checks all of the boxes.
Shop the best black heeled ankle boots
These are my top picks for the best black heeled ankle boots for 2023 from designer to luxe for less, wedges to chunky and stiletto heels, high to kitten heel. Plus some Balmain boots on sale!
Best white ankle boots
White ankle boots are my go to when transitioning from Summer to Fall or Winter to Spring. They’re also a massive boot trend for 2023. One of the heel styles to look for this season for an on trend look is the forward angled heels. For a more classic style go for simple stiletto or block heels.
Best beige leather ankle boots | Affordable style
These gorgeous beige leather women’s ankle boots are a classic and as easy to pull on for easy dressing. Schutz is a well known designer, famous for it’s beautifully crafted shoes and quality.
Best women’s flat ankle boots for walking, comfort & style | Winter snow boots
When my husband said I needed waterproof, warm, sensible snow boots for our winter travel I was thinking clunky, dorky and outdoorsy styles. I know it’s the smart thing but I wasn’t too keen on the idea. However, I now really love the winter snow boots I ended up with.
I wore these waterproof boots in the rain and snow and they kept my feet warm and dry. If you want extra warmth you can always pop on a pair of wool socks.
Waterproof Ankle Boot Features:
- Upper: Waterproof-nubuck upper.
- Durable, water-resistant, 100% recycled P.E.T. ripstop baffling details.
- Waterproof construction.
- 200 g PrimaLoft® insulation.
- High Rebound OrthoLite® footbed provides ultimate comfort.
- Sole Unit: Proprietary XtraFoam™ midsole for superior comfort; firmer-density EVA compound around the perimeter for stability.
- Durable TNF Winter Grip® rubber outsole.
- IcePick® temperature-sensitive rubber lugs for increased traction.
What are the best ankle boots to wear with dresses, skirts & shorts
I’m not sure if there is just one style of ankle boots or womens booties that’s ‘best’ for dresses or shorts! Pretty much any style of boots go with dresses depending on the look you’re going from. It’s such a versatile look you can put your own spin on from flirty and feminine to grungy biker chick.
Pick a style that expresses how you’re feeling and makes you feel good, there’s really no right or wrong.
Are Cowboy ankle boots in style 2023
Yes, they’re coming back. Cowboy boots and Western boots have started creeping back into runway shows such as Sass & Bide Australian Fashion Week Resort ’23 Collections, Chloe Womenswear Fall/Winter show, and Coperni Womenswear Spring/Summer, and are always a LTK blogger favorite.
They’re a classic you can always turn to so don’t worry about wearing them, even when they’re not a part of fashion shows.
The key to making cowboy boots work for you is finding a color, shape and material you love that you can wear every year. I’m never going to be the girl in the crocodile cowboy boots but cute white leather ankle cowboy boots and Paris Texas stiletto crocodile print boots I can get behind. Metallic western boots are also in style, so find a style that works best for you this Fall/Winter.
Cowboy boots look super cute with denim shorts on warmer days and with a knit dress and Lack of Color hat on cooler days. I’ve always wanted cowboy boots ever since coming to America but it took me until last year to find the perfect pair.
Follow me on ShopLTK
Shop all of my sale finds, daily looks, everything on the blog and get exclusive access to in app only sales exclusively on shopltk. Pro Shopping Tip: If you favorite the items you like in the Shop.LTK app, you’ll be sent sale notifications whenever there’s a price drop.
LiketoKnow.it Fall Sale in App exclusive discount code – Get ready for 2023!
Keep an eye out for these womens ankle boots and booties in the Shop.LTK app only Fall Sale. It’s an in app exclusive sale which runs for a couple of days in September. The good news it happens every year so if you miss this years make sure to download the Shop.LTK app & follow me evedawes to get the exclusive discount code and save money!
To get in on the exclusive discount code you need to:
- Download the LiketoKnow.it app
- Follow me evedawes
- Mark your favorite photos and/or items
Then from around September 20th-22nd, any items on sale will be flagged with a big red LTK Sale label on them and give you the exclusive in app only sale code. So you can shop the sale before they sell out directly from the LiketoKnow.it app.
If I’ve missed any high street or designer ankle boots or booties you’re loving for 2023, share them with me via Instagram @glamourandgains #glamourandgains. So that I can see and share them on this best ankle boots 2023 edit.
Also, let me know if the boots you wanted or clicked on here are sold out so that I can track them down for you.
More shoes and boots trending now
If you’re still wondering How to Conquer In Between Season Fashion have a look at these Fall outfits and fashion finds.
- The knee high boots everyone will be lusting over this season
- How to wear black booties with jeans
- Ankle boots outfit ideas for all seasons
- 30 Ways to Style Tall Boots | Stylish & Chic Knee High Boot Outfit Ideas
- 34 Best Chunky Boots | Functional Edgy Fashion
- 24 Best Metallic Boots | Silver & Gold Boots to Shine In This Season
- 37 Best White Boots to Freshen Up Your Winter Style
The term women and womens is purely for search results and does not in anyway suggest they’re purely to be worn by any specific gender.