Easy Fish Pie Recipe
All of The Taste Minus The Guilt!
Fish pie recipes vary a lot from the different types of fish, herbs and spices, creamy or tomato based sauces and topping. Cauliflower fish pie is one of my families winter warmer favorites with all the satisfying flavors minus the starch and lower in carbohydrates. This easy cauliflower fish pie recipe is also really healthy, gluten free and lactose free. Swapping out the cream sauce for marinara, potatoes for cauliflower, and using almond cheese and lactose free milk.
Tasty, nutritious, easy to make, high in protein, what’s not to like? No lactose, no potatoes but still super filling and tasty.
Easy Cauliflower Fish Pie Recipe
- 1 organic cauliflower
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 1/6th cup lactose-free milk (give or take a little)
- Juice of 1/2 fresh organic lemon
- 1/2 lb raw, peeled shrimp
- 1/2-3/4 lb salmon fillets
- 1/2 lb white fish of choice e.g. cod, tilapia, halibut
- 1/2-2/3 cup organic marinara sauce
- Preheat your oven to 400F, use convection if your oven has that option.
- Remove the stalk from the cauliflower, wash, chop and cook the cauliflower until soft. I steamed mine in the microwave for 7 minutes.
- Put the cauliflower, lactose-free milk, and garlic in a food processor and puree or blend until it forms a smooth mash. Add more or less milk to get the perfect consistency.
- Remove skin from the salmon.
- Heat a non-stick pan and sear the salmon for a minute or 2 on either side. It should still be pink pretty much all the way through. Drizzle with half of the lemon juice while cooking to keep it moist.
- Remove from pan and place on a chopping board.
- Repeat step 3 with the white fish.
- Peel prawns if they’re not already done.
- Chop the seared fish into cubes and cut the shrimp into smaller pieces and place in a non-stick ovenproof dish to start making the fish pie.
- Pour the marinara sauce over the fish mixture and combine.
- Smooth the cauliflower mash over the top with a spoon or fork.
- If you wish to grate almond cheese over the top before you place it in the oven now’s the time.
- Place in the center of the oven.
- Cook for 30 minutes.
- If you’ve topped your fish pie with cheese finish for 1-2 minutes under the broiler until the cheese is golden.
- Remove from oven and serve with vegetables of your choice such as steamed asparagus and spinach.
Have you tried this healthy cauliflower fish pie recipe?
I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below or message me on Instagram @glamourandgains.