Mary Jane’s are having a moment from flats to platforms. Here’s what you need to know about the 2023 shoe trend you can’t miss
Mary Jane shoes for women haven’t been in the spotlight for a while but with them being all over the runway shows from Chanel to Dior they’re most definitely back. From comfortable flat black Mary Jane flats as seen on Gigi Hadid to crystal embellished metallic silver platform Mary Jane heels at Giambattista. These are the styles to embrace this season and how to wear this retro style.
This post contains affiliate links.
What makes a shoe a Mary Jane
Mary Jane (also as slay bar shoes or doll shoes) is an American term (formerly a registered trademark) for a closed, low-cut shoe with one or more straps across the instep.Wikipedia
Are Mary Jane shoes in style 2023
Mary Jane shoes are in style for 2023 and one of the shoe trends. From the runways in 2022 to the fashionistas feet in 2023. It doesn’t matter if they’re ballet style flats of towering platforms, neutrals or metallics. Thank God, as you know I’m a girl you’ll rarely catch in flats unless I’m working out. As seen at:
- Patent Mary Jane shoes at Chanel Metiers D’Art Fashion Show.
- Miu Miu Ready to Wear Fall/Winter fashion show at Paris Fashion Week.
- Metallic & crystal adored styles at Giambattista Valli Ready to Wear Fall/Winter.
- Dior Haute Couture Spring/Summer show.
This trend is all about the round toe and top strap whether you go for a minimalistic or maximalistic style. It’s a trend that can go in so many directions and all of them are right. Trending styles include:
- Flat ballet styles.
- Metallic stiletto heels.
- Platform Mary Janes.
- Crystal adorned heels and buckles.
- Black patent classic styles of flats and pumps.
Best neutral Mary Jane pumps under $150
If you’re looking for a less chunky shoe that’s great for Spring/Summer this cute slingback pump is super cute. It’s one of those sturdy heels that are made for wearing all day.
The Mary Jane Loafer
If you’re torn between getting a new pair of loafers or MJ’s these black Mary Jane shoes check off both shoe trends. It’s a great shoe for Fall/Winter styled with jeans or dresses.
Black Platform Mary Jane Shoes
Versace platforms keep evolving and each new collection brings out another new trend. The iconic gold Medusa buttons and towering platforms take these shoes to another level, literally!
Classic Black Patent Mary Jane shoes
If you’re looking for a classic pair with a sturdy heel and double straps these are a great find and they’re on sale.
Coming in hot…pink
These platform Mary Jane heels come in a few colors although the pink is perfect for the Barbiecore trend. I really hope this trend lasts for Fall and Winter because I’m really tempted by the black ones to wear with black tights and cute dresses.
They’re a flattering way to wear the trend if you’re petite like me and kinder on the credit card than the Versace platforms.
If you’re worried about how hard they’ll be to walk in, people rave about how soft the leather is and how comfortable they are in the reviews.
Shop the Mary Jane shoes for women 2023 edit
My personal favorites are the Miu Miu bicolor white and black cap toe Mary Jane pumps with their silver chain and pearl button details and the pink Manolo stiletto Mary Jane heels. They’re both such fun ways to wear this trend.
If you’re looking for a style for Spring/Summer think light colors like cream, pretty pastel blue and pink styles. Which look super cute for summer with a lace dress or breezy summer styles. For Fall/Winter chunkier soles and darker colors look great with tights and LBD’s.
Here’s what caught my eye from designer to luxe for less:
How to style Mary Jane shoes
10 celebrity inspired outfit ideas:
- With a black mini skirt and white tank like Kiernan Shipka.
- With cute lacey socks, a pleated skirt and white shirt or polo shirt for a preppy outfit.
- Alexa Chung’s Mary Jane outfit is giving us total cool girl vibes. Her simple flowy black dress, black tights and contrasting red shoes really lets the shoes be the center piece.
- For a casual, laid back look copy Kate Bosworth’s straight or wide leg jeans and a tanks top outfit.
- Take styling inspiration from Sarah Jessica Parker. Blue jeans and a button down with these shoes looks chic and modern.
- For an ultra feminine and soft look try styling them like Taylor swift in a floaty lace mini dress with high heel MJ’s.
- Create a monochromatic look with a dress that matches your MJ’s.
- A fitted midi dress and dainty Mary Jane shoes for women looks chic and elegant.
- For a fashion forward look, style your cocktail dresses with evening gloves and metallic silver Mary Jane heels.
- Katie Holmes is the epitome of classic, casual in blue jeans, a white t-shirt and black patent Mary Jane shoes.
- Perfect for the Mom or the business woman on the go. Wear the flat iterations commuting then fold them up and pop them in your purse and switch to heels for work or a night out.