How to Improve Your Aerobic Cardio Fitness
Cardio can be super effective when done right and when making sure you don’t plateau. The best cardio workouts don’t have to take an hour(s) when done right. So if you’re no longer seeing results from your cardio exercises, are bored or looking for ways to improve your cardio, these 5 simple tips will help.
If you don’t have enough time for a workout during the holiday season or in general, then I’m here to show you that you do and how to get moving! Here’s how to work smarter not longer and get solid results while balancing a busy life. Starting with focusing on what you’re doing and creating your mind and body connection.
What is cardio?
What sets aerobic exercise apart from other types of exercise is that it cardio exercise, cardiovascular exercise, also known as aerobic exercise, is that it has to:
1. Be a rhythmic activity (e.g. walking, cycling, running, rowing, dancing).
2. Raise your heart rate into your target heart rate zone.
3. Uses your oxygen system
Benefits of cardio
There are many benefits to cardio besides burning calories and weight loss. Another being that it improves your cardiovascular health. By working your heart, one of the most important muscles in your body, it can strengthen it and help lower your blood pressure. Cardio exercise can also help regulate your blood sugar levels, reduce chronic pain, help asthma sufferers and insomniacs, strengthen your immune system and brain function, improve your mood and proprioception.
5 Ways to Make Your Cardio More Effective
Getting the most out of your cardio isn’t always just about the type of cardio exercises you do but how you prepare for them and execute them.
- Music. Music’s a great pace setter and motivator. So choose up beat, faster tracks that encourage you to workout at an appropriate speed for the exercise that you’re doing.
- Wear the correct shoes for the exercise you’re doing. Choose shoes specific for the exercise you’re doing to give you the support you need and to help prevent injury. Replace shoes (sponsored link) often so that you’re still getting the cushioning and support that you need, plus what’s not to love about box fresh sneakers!
- Vary what you do: the type of cardio, duration, intensity. Varying what you do, whether it’s the type of exercise, speed, intensity or duration will keep your body challenged and keeping making adaptions. Plus it helps prevent boredom to make it a lifestyle not a fad.
- Fuel for it (pre and post nutrition). Make sure that if you’re doing fasted cardio you don’t overdo it, are well hydrated and refuel afterwards. If you eat beforehand, make sure you leave enough time for your food to digest before working out.
- Make sure you’re sufficiently hydrated. To avoid dehydration and make sure all of your muscles and organs can function efficiently.
More detailed information on the workout tips above
Watch the video to find out more.
What do you do to make your cardio more effective?
What are your favorite cardio exercises and ways to make them more effective. Leave a comment below or message me on Instagram.